Skip to main content
We have noticed that you are using an older browser version
This portal is optimized for the following browser versions:
- IE - 11
- Edge 18 or greater
- Firefox 69 or greater
- Chrome 77 or greater
- Safari 13 or greater
- Opera 63 or greater
Note: We advise you to update to better enjoy navigation in the portal.
Need help? Please, click on this icon!
European Parliament Elections
- Every five years, EU citizens elect their representatives to the European Parliament.
- As a citizen, you have the right to vote and stand as a candidate in European Parliamentary elections in your home country.
- However, if you live in another EU country, you can choose to vote and stand as a candidate in the same way as nationals of your host country.
Who can vote?
All residents who have the nationality of a European Union member state and who:
- Are registered in the population or foreigners register on 1 March 2019;
- Are at least 18 years old on 26 May 2019;
- Complete and submit the registration form for the elections before 1 March 2019.
How to register?
- Download the registration form or ask your commune for it;
- Fill in and sign the form;
- Send it to the commune by post or deliver it yourself, with a copy of your residence permit (identity card). At some conditions, emails can also be accepted;
- You will receive confirmation of your registration by post when it has been approved.
Be careful, after your registration on the electoral roll has been approved, you are legally bound to vote in the next elections. However, you do have the right to deregister, in the commune of your principal residence.
How to vote?
- Provided that you are registered as voter (see above), you will receive a personal voting notification by post a few weeks before the elections;
- You must bring this notification and your identity card with you to the voting booth on election day.
Where to vote?
- You receive a convocation 15 days before the elections with the address of the polling place;
- If you take part in elections in Belgium for the European Parliament, and vote for candidates on Belgian lists of candidates, you will not be able to take part in European Parliament elections in your home country.
Did you notice a mistake in the existing content?
Help us improve it by reporting the mistake and/or suggesting a correction.
You didn't find the language you were looking for?
Help us reach more people by translating the content yourself!
translation – übersetzung ; oversættelse - prijevod - traducción - traduzione ; vertaling – tłumaczenie - tradução – traducere – tõlge – μετάφραση – fordítás – tulkojums – vertimas – traduzzjoni – översättning – çeviri – käännös – превод – překlad – aistriúchán – prijevod – Iwwersetzung
Approach is a collaborative system.
Are you coming from a European country and living in Etterbeek still several years?
Please share your experience !
Help new Etterbeek Citizen of you country by translating these pages into your native language and giving some tips.
How to proceed ? Ask for an account here.
Build your custom guide for
Select the introduction or any other information sections to add to your custom guide.
Look for the printer icon at the top of the page to print or download your guide.
Select All |
Deselect All |