Skip to main content
We have noticed that you are using an older browser version
This portal is optimized for the following browser versions:
- IE - 11
- Edge 18 or greater
- Firefox 69 or greater
- Chrome 77 or greater
- Safari 13 or greater
- Opera 63 or greater
Note: We advise you to update to better enjoy navigation in the portal.
Need help? Please, click on this icon!
Custom Search form
- Primary education is targeted at children from 6 to 12 years old and comprises six subsequent school years.
- A child usually starts primary education when it is six years old and thus obliged to engage in education.
- When successfully completing primary education, children are granted a certificate.
How to enroll?
There is a lot of demand for Dutch-speaking education in Brussels and sometimes there aren't enough places. A few tips on how to improve your chances for a place:
- Choose several schools
- Your first-choice school should have enough places available and be close to your home or workplace
- Choose schools with lots of places available for your priority group
Is your child about to move from nursery school to the 1st grade of primary school? You may need to apply for a place in the primary school, even if it is the same school. Contact the school to find out.
Special education schools have their own registration procedure.
When to enroll?
Registering in a Dutch-speaking primary school in Brussels, school year 2020-2021:
- In January - February 2020: getting to know various schools (visit the schools, talk to other parents, etc.)
- From 6 to 17 January 2020: priority registration for siblings of pupils and children of staff
- As from 20 December 2019: check out the list of available places per school at https://www.inschrijveninbrussel.be/en/primary-education/available-places-5
- Between 02 March and 31 March 2020: put your child’s name down at inschrijveninbrussel.be. You will need different evidence documents
- Early May 2020: you will receive an e-mail or a letter informing you of the result of your application
- From 4 to 26 May 2020: go to the school and register your child. No places left? You will receive a “place application unsuccessful” document from the school. Your child will be placed on the school's waiting list and the school will contact you if a place opens up
- From 29 May 2020: open registration round: available places will be allocated on a first come, first served basis. If there are no places left, your child will be placed on the waiting list
- 01 September 2020: first school day
Who has Priority?
- Siblings can register first, together with children of staff
- Next in line are children with Dutch-speaking parents, non-GOK children and GOK children. GOK children are children whose mother does not have a diploma of secondary education or who receive a school allowance. Non-GOK children do not meet these criteria
Did you notice a mistake in the existing content?
Help us improve it by reporting the mistake and/or suggesting a correction.
You didn't find the language you were looking for?
Help us reach more people by translating the content yourself!
Already Existing Translations
translation – übersetzung ; oversættelse - prijevod - traducción - traduzione ; vertaling – tłumaczenie - tradução – traducere – tõlge – μετάφραση – fordítás – tulkojums – vertimas – traduzzjoni – översättning – çeviri – käännös – превод – překlad – aistriúchán – prijevod – Iwwersetzung
Approach is a collaborative system.
Are you coming from a European country and living in Etterbeek still several years?
Please share your experience !
Help new Etterbeek Citizen of you country by translating these pages into your native language and giving some tips.
How to proceed ? Ask for an account here.
Build your custom guide for
Select the introduction or any other information sections to add to your custom guide.
Look for the printer icon at the top of the page to print or download your guide.
Select All |
Deselect All |
The content of this website represents the views of the author only and is their sole responsibility.
The European Commission does not accept any responsibility for use that may be made of the information it contains.